Re: The Windows 10 New World Order

+1.

My thoughts coming up. Get a barf bag handy. smile

I have been trying to reconcile my apparent desire to use Windows, which I feel very strongly every now and again, with the reality, which is that I rarely do. Sometimes its the refinement of Windows screen readers, and the choice available. Sometimes its the principle of openness. Sometimes it's my love of the long-lost, rosy past, where everything was largely perfect, and the few rough spots could largely be worked around.

But if I actually evaluate the facts today, and when accessibility is the benchmark, I'm not even sure Windows wins anymore. When accessibility is not the only benchmark--when privacy, simplicity, manageability and happiness are concerns, say--Windows is substantially the loser.

I am reluctant to dismiss Windows, as any choice. I don't like harbouring scores just because I can . But the facts, at least for me, speak for themselves. I am a Mac user. I want to have the choice, but the question of whether a platform meets my needs comes after, and not before, the determination of its suitability is made.

To take a recent example, independent installation of the operating system. I can't imagine going back to a world without that. The bar has been raised, and it isn't coming back down. If I am to go back to Windows, it must be possible to reinstall it independently. Maybe that could be regarded as optional by some hold-outs, in the interest of other virtues of Windows accessibility, but I could never let it go. And, in practice, it actually matters: OS X is always there when I mess up my Windows VM, to restore it to before I broke it. I wish I could say the same for Windows on bare metal, but it isn't happening.

You can throw away your barf bags now. smile

The approved VI Twitter client for OS X is Night Owl which you can get from the Mac App Store. But actually, if you are happy using the web app, that works perfectly too. I'm using it now, in fact, to follow a particular account for news, without being signed in. I'll get back into Twitter properly when I have more time to put into that particular sinkhole. smile