Re: The Windows 10 New World Order

@nocturnus: re Cortana making you keep promises you send in email, it's certainly creepy and I'd certainly turn that off, but to MS's credit it's not actually a problem if the data doesn't leave your device. It's stuff like the forced "Basic" telemetry (see Flyby Chow's post for what that actually means) and the overzealous parental control features that really turn up the heat. Technological dystopia meets reality, phase 1.

Concerning the topic's title: there is an element here of the jocular, but also of the morose. To the extent that I'm not entirely free of Windows, and to the extent that Windows represents an extremely bad _expression_ of the technology trend of completely involuntary (read: forced) user monetisation and platform parti sanship, it is an order. Obviously, though, you can avoid technology and the Internet, so it's all good. :-|

@wanderer re Linux live CDs: last tried Fedora 23 about a week ago. Could not get sound output, and I'd heard that was particularly good with hardware. It'd clearly booted, as I could see it obtain a DHCP lease. And that was in a VMWare guest. I'll give arch a go, although I'd prefer a Debian-based distro (that isn't Ubuntu). TBH I don't like eSpeak compared to either Eloquence or Alex, and I already have braille and textmode and could probably bootstrap a GUI if I needed one, so I'm a little at a loss as to what I'd get out of it, but I'm more bothered that a blind person cannot simply choose a mainstream distro and install it without these contortions. So, if you're saying that booting a live CD actually works, I guess that gives me some hope.

No Swamp on a Mac? Interesting, when it was free I didn't ha ve any trouble there, although like Nocturnus I'm not really interested in paying for it. This guide is practically all still relevant today. And yeah, VMs, USB headsets, tinkered audio latency parameters all still work. Game away, lose nothing. smile

Reinstalling OS X can be done either from the system disk using the recovery partition, or, more thoroughly, by using a copy of that partition (or a complete installer) from an external drive that can be used to repartition the internal disk. The process isn't too involved and many people have learned how to do it, although it's not the usual route for most users, presumably because the "Recovery HD" works more often than not. When using a recovery image, either internal or external, you are asked to sign in to the Mac App Store, and the entire OS is downloaded then and there over the network. Even if the internal disk is blank and there is no Recovery HD on it, if the Mac is connected to a network, the recovery image is fetched by the firmware itself from Apple. It's pretty damned awesome. smile