Re: my dream, your nightmare

I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, because I have an on and off with this game that's really putting me off as of late.

I see the typos are getting fixed, good on you there.

I think ship upgrades and cargo upgrades need an overhaul. This system is pretty confusing for newbies, I'd say, and just downright annoying for everyone else, but we're all used to it so nobody's saying anything.
Here's what I have to do if I lose a ship and want to get a new one back in shape. I have to buy the ship. If it's not one of the player ships that has everything upgraded, you then have to buy the misc upgrades and worst of all, cargo upgrades. Oh and I forgot, you have to buy a drone, which is fine, but then oh, wait, you have to buy upgrades for that drone so that it can physically add... what, exactly? to 20+ cargo bays? Not the mention the packs of plates you have to get for it first to do that.

I think at least one of these steps should be eliminated. The cargo drones are practically useless and are only used for expanding cargo bays. I think the ship level should determine what minerals/gases/etc it can harvest and/or otherwise hold in it's cargo bays. Perhaps, like this new ratio system implemented now, cargo drones can actually help you with useful things and turn into resource drones and become what the hard to learn resource trolleys are. Speaking of that, Nate, didn't you say you were going to implement some kind of resource drone?

I just hope it's not as bad as the helper drone, something I thought would've been a lot more autonomous than they actually are. I think it would be cool if we could write scripts of commands for them to execute, rather than one command at a time. Some interesting ideas could no doubt come from that. I'm not talking about boting either.
Lastly, perhaps you should consider the advancement potential of an activity before implementing it. Lately, whether it's Dark Matter Mining, or anything having to do with resources activities have been getting implemented lately. It may help the economy, but it is not helping those of us who aren't interested in crafting. I've thought several times about selling my factory because the resources I've been getting I've been trying to advance levels with, not give them to myself at the factory.
also, how about developing AI's to help out the economy a bit? They can do their thing and contribute to the economy by giving players resources at factories, clan or otherwise, because... more realism. It looks like it's working out for Star Conquest.
I'm not so sure I like this new ground combat system, actually. Putting X number of points into limbs is silly. Stats should be generalized for your whole character that should then effect your limbs in combat, etc.

I think some of the military organization application questions should be changed to reflect the world you're trying to create. The Infantry questions felt like I was being asked about the laws of today, not four centuries later. I didn't fill it out because I don't have a profile yet, but still. I'd also would like some idea of what I'd be getting into when joining. AKA with the SDL do they require you to do a Vacus solo battle exam without obfuscation? If so, I was never able to type/think fast enough, something I hope the new combat system can change in this regard.
HTH.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Fox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : karate25 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector