Re: Training Centers

camlorn wrote:

Basically, don't record yourself traveling from A to B, and then memorize only that path, try to figure out the "shape" and "size" of it.

Ah, the recording was me vaguely hoping I could get usable sound effects out of it, or something interesting at least. (My laptop situation at the time... well, I went with the early 1990s technology, if that tells you anything. No, it did not turn out usable. tongue.)

If it helps, and it did me until i got to a point where the diagrams would really need to be complicated, try drawing and/or making tactile maps of the area you are in somehow.

I actually asked someone if there was anything like this available for my area. I was surprised when the response I got was "Why would you need it? Just take a cab." (Surprised because of who it was from.)
(The maps in the JF IM Adventure, Mario, and those meant for LC were all designed in braille with a PACMate. That would probably work poorly for something more real-world, though. If there were a way to turn real maps into Swamp maps, on the other hand...)

And do take a cell phone with you-that's the most important part, especially at the beginning.

The general strategy sounds very good. Prerequisites appear to be a cell phone and someone to call in case of game over. All I have is my parents' versions of those, which... do not strike me as worth it. (Trying to clarify. Attempts keep getting mindkilled. Aborting.)

I've told you to try leveraging programming before.  Here's the thing.  I'm 100% certain you could pass FizzBuzz with only a couple minutes of thou ght.

Yep. I tossed it together in under two minutes (and only then because I kept backspacing over whether or it should be 0 or 1-based when starting the loop). Cut it from the post because no cheating on your online applications, guys.

Java is big, and you have experience with it.  You can say that you have experience writing "games with alternative interfaces for those with visual disabilities", "experience making accessible applications", or some other variations on that.

What I do not have, however, is:

  • Any Linux power at all.

  • JNI experience.

  • Experience with databases, mysql or otherwise.

  • Any idea how to use the java networking package (I have no idea where I'd find that in the docs, but I guess I could find out with a simple Google search).

  • Any professional experience what so ever, and short of teleporting into the good graces of Google, I imagine that will be a necessity.

  • experience with applets (I've always done stand-alone applications)

  • a single instance of getting a program I made to run reliably on other computers running the same OS (I started working with BGT for a reason, after all). No one's been able to get to the bottom of this one (I've asked lots of people. The closest I've gotten to information is someone on Swamp managing to tell me exactly what error a file was giving, which still leaves me baffled but is finally some direction... and it was within the past few weeks.)

Aside from Linux, those are things I've found on listings for java programmer positions. They're also things that don't interest me enough to study in far mode.
On the other hand, I guess I could try to get a hold of an Android and write apps for it.