Re: Training Centers

@Ryan, I'm afraid I'm still not convinced on the sleep shades issue. If a person is peering too close to something in a pan, well thatt tells me they should be using safety goggles not being banned from using their vision. Again, if the question is  to prove a person can do something without vision, well why not also have a person tied into a wheel chair and do something without legs? Or maybe you should plug up a persons' nostrels while they're cooking so that they can do it without a sense of smell. Frankly, limited vision is another  sense and part of a person's life, and denying it  just seems pointless to me. Far better to teach a person to make the most of what they have, rather than deny it for some misconcieved attempt at equality.  I have actually been in situations myself where I have had professionals attempt to teach me to do  something denying! what my vision is capable of and often relying on things like my spacial&nb sp; coordination which as I've said is pretty dire. Having a mobility instructor tell me to step  count to find a door when i repeatedly tell her I can find the door because it is painted bright blue and is the only one on a road is a very irritating situation, and one which, were I less stubborn than I am could've put me in a bad situation.

I suspect this is something we're not going to agree on however.

Regarding your statement about  skills and teaching, and doing things like martial arts in the community, well firstly for a lot of people who aren't able to advocate for themselves, or find a good teacher who can explain without visual reference or make correct alterations in training this isn't an option, and secondly, well why not do carpentry in the  community? my issue is not that carpentry isn't a marketable skill, it is just that  it seems a little random to force people to pass a course based only on that.

< p>I fully well agree learning basic life skills such as normal cooking, cleaning, laundry etc for those who do not know them or haven't been taught as Tom said above,is a good thing, but once you go beyond that basic set you seem fairly arbitrary to pick wood working. If it were an optional extra at the centers or if people could pass the course without it, fair enough, but it is having it as an  absolute requirement as if it is an  essential skil on par with doing laundry that I object to. Ditto with mass catering, though in some ways that is at lest slightly less arbitrary, albeit unless your working in the food industry or volunteering you usually will only have at most 10 people to cook for (certainly outisde my own position as philosophy society president the most people I've ever had to cook for is 8).

I think as I said my  major issue  with Nfb from the sound of  it is the  institutionalization of skills and practices which should be personal.

Of saying "a successful blind person must tick our boxes or else" and leaving little room for individualiation in that.

That some blind people need a good kick up the arse for motivation i don't disagree with, but this has to be a very  individualized kick, engaging in something tht would interest them specifically not attempting to make them fit an external criteria.