Re: I'm a little on edge, looking for advice

Hmm, if I was English, I would be definitely worried about Brexit. It seems that when things become too common, people tend to hazard with them just to eventually reinvent, how important they were. And in this special case even forget, that it wasn't their productivity what made UK the place as we know it today, just recall, what was the biggest income of the British empire.
So I'm lucky that at least our government chooses to stay.

Also, as a citizen of country, which was not directly under, but strongly influenced by Ussr, I can say, that they have absolutely nothing in common.
EU is a voluntary organization originally of six states, Germany, France, Italy and Benelux, which's intent was firstly to share resources, later also other things like intelligence, laws, markets etc. And UK was among first, who wanted to connect to gain all of those.
Ussr was nothing but a Russian plan to take over eastern Europe. They have never really helped with anything, only thing they were able to do was to unite an army from Germany, Poland and Ussr to attack Czechoslovakia in 68 to assure we were under control.

So at least from my perspective, voluntary trade organization and a military colos are two completely different things.

Best regards

Rastislav