Re: Any way to make coding on MacOS non-painful?

@2/@4 Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Maybe I could learn it given time, but I'm kind of at capacity for knowledge I have to keep in my head, and I already need to learn enough Cocoa plus how to call that from Rust that I don't have the bandwidth to add another screen reader on top of that. Ah well, fortunately it took all of 10 minutes to set up the remote VSCode integration, so that'll be my path forward. I'll give Apple credit for making it stupid simple to set up an SSH server without touching the command line, and for making the platform somewhat developer-friendly even if VO itself is a bit of a shitshow.

@3 Respect to you for your choice of Emacs, but it just isn't for me. I actually used Emacspeak for a long time, but there's too much of a disconnect between that and, well, just about everything else I need.

@5 Agreed with your Apple assessment. If someone hadn't literally bought me $1700 worth of Apple hardware, I'd just not care until some other Apple user came along and wanted my plugins on iOS. And if the code I need to maintain myself for cross-platform accessibility ends up being more than a few hundred lines, I may just put the project on hold for a few months and read up on Apple's mass of frameworks. But Apple's platforms were the last two I couldn't support, save for Playstation which I'm not going after anyway for what are likely obvious reasons, so I owe it to my donor to give it a good fighting shot. And to Apple's credit, I think their use of ObjC is more due to MacOS' NeXTSTEP roots as opposed to something they chose to be difficult.

Anyhow, thanks folks. I was already pursuing the remote SSH option, but you've convinced me to stop trying to whip VSCode into shape under VoiceOver for now.