Re: Any way to make coding on MacOS non-painful?

@5
Objective-c is what it is because it's older than mac.  They didn't keep using it because they wanted to be different.  They kept using it because they ended up in a position where Objective-C facilities are all but baked into the OS kernel.  You can't find C docs because Objective-C is the OS X and iOS ABI.

It is actually possible to talk to it via C, but I don't remember how and I don't know that I can find the docs again--Apple's dev documentation is inaccessible on Windows because they got Aria wrong and ended up having a hidden table of contents that you can only see with the debugger, which was the last straw in me ever caring about the platform.  But how it works is you have to actually build Objective-C messages in C, and dispatch them through the Objective-C runtime.

I'm reasonably sure Swift exists in part because the only way for Apple to have a programming language that doesn't have a bunch of weird edge cases all through it is for them to make it compatible at some level with the Objective-C ABI.  You can say what you want about Windows and Linux, but at least they don't shove a language down your throat.  I'm pretty sure Apple saw Objective-C as a mistake for much longer than they admit.  If you're big enough, tech debt is the mythical immovable object and you have no choice but to claim it was your plan all along.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector