Re: Any way to make coding on MacOS non-painful?

Every bit of goodwill for this platform that I've ever had has evaporated. Fuckers locked down debugging such that even launching lldb and running or attaching to something pops up a GUI prompt asking you to enable debugging. If you're remote over SSH, using VSCode remote development for instance, it just silently fails. SSHing in and running lldb manually just returns an exit(1) whenever you run your app. Apple gaslit me into thinking I'd forgotten how to use lldb until I manually installed gdb, and the homebrew package at least had the decency to fail in ways that led me to discover that the OS locked down debugging. So even SSH-based development is locked down on MacOS. You're either able-bodied enough to use Xcode, or you're just a user.

God this upsets me. iOS is certainly a more accessible platform, I'll give it that. But I wouldn't be the developer I am today if it wasn't for Android giving me the freedom to build Spiel, my own GPS app, and a bunch of other little experiments. I hate hate hate that the more accessible mobile platform is locked down such that blind software developers will have an uphill battle trying to write apps for it. Running my own software on my own portable device was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had as a developer.

I'm going to stop ranting and smoke a bowl before I go too much further down this path. But figured I'd share the latest chapter in the shitshow. VSCode remote development works well right up until you need to actually debug something. So there but for the grace of god go you, and stay away from MacOS development if you have that luxury.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector