Re: Earwax

Hey all,
I'm starting on the game maker part of Earwax, and I'm hoping to get some input on what sort of interface people would like to see?

I'm working on a command line interface currently, so the work flow would be something like:

mkdir game
cd game
earwax init (initialises default files and directory structure)
earwax createmap "Scarry Forest" (creates a new map called Scarry Forest)
earwax maps (shows a list of maps with indices next to them)
earwax configuremap 1 --name "Scary Forest" (rename the first map because we spelled the name wrong)
earwax build 1 (open a GUI that allows you to use arrow keys to move around a map and place things from menus)
earwax surfaces (shows a list of added surfaces)

Surfaces dictate what sound will be heard when moving around maps. There will be a default surface for the map (which could be silent), and each "area" of the map can have its own surface.

You create them by dumping directories of sound files in the "sounds/surfaces" directory, which is created with `earwax init`. They should look like:

sounds:
    surfaces:
        concrete:
            concrete1.wav
            concrete2.wav
        sand:
            sand.wav

It will eventually be possible to configure the "actions" that are available on a per-level basic, so for example you could have a city map that's 2d where you can turn, and walk, and run, followed by a side scroller sewer pipe level where you can only move sideways and jump.

I'm thinking of making some kind of system where you can create variables with a command like `earwax global point int 0`, which - when coupled with a basic script builder - will allow you to do minimal coding in your games.

For anything not covered by the basic system (likely a lot), you'll be able to write your own Python, and the system will pull it in when creating a final script with a command like `earwax build`.

So there's my ideas so far. I'd love to hear what people think (the good and the bas), and as many suggestions as humanly possible.

I'm sure there's better ways to do what I want to do, so please feel free to be critical.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector