Re: Earwax

So there's something really far down my prototype the things to see if they work list, but an idea I've been playing around with is actually describing maps in code.  For example:

town_square = Box(width=5, height=5, description="The town square")
fountain = EnvironmentalObject(position = town_square.bottom_left + v(3, 3), sound="fountain.ogg")
western_road = Box(width=20, height=1, description="The western road")
western_road.position(town_square.bottom_left + 3*y)

If you do some overloading of Python operators you can get nice vectors and things to work with, you can detect overlaps by just writing a 2d array and seeing if anything tries to set a cell twice, you can do things like verify_reachable(western_road, town_square) that will throw if it's not reachable, etc.  I don't know how far this goes, thus it being on my to prototype list, but writing something like this is intended to be the Synthizer demo/example project.

We need something better than tiles and grid editors, regardless, whether that's solved by you or not.  They work to a point, but there's such a big emphasis on to a point.  Json and yaml and whatever else editing is too rigid--you can do it but yoi have to work out the coordinates in your head.  When I think about even doing something as complicated as Swamp's most basic maps with the kinds of approaches we currently take I die a little inside, let alone doing (say) a proper small town.  With the grids you can either have giant boxes (in which case your roads are cathedrals) or small ones (in which case it's 200x200) and just, there has to be better.  SO, have my idea for better, maybe you'll make something of it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector