Re: In memorium, Terry goodkind

@Oriol, That scene in Wizard's first rule was obviously specifically shocking to me for  the above reasons.

As with many things in Goodkind, I think the torture and brutality went a bit into overdrive as his books got more overt in displaying his political beliefs, especially when the good guys are justifying some pretty extreme actions themselves.

Don't get me wrong, the series still had it's nice moments, I loved the final defeat of Jagang in Confessor, how you saw Rachel grow as a character and stand up to Violet,  and the fact so many plot threads came together at the end, however at that point it just felt as if the series had hit a natural end, and I chose to stop before the series completely lost it's chalm.

@vablus, it was things like the above vengence you mention in pillars of creator that was why I felt the series was going a bit too far.

I've heard friends say the omen machine and first confessor were a bit disappointing, but third kingdom picks things up a bit.

Any thoughts?

As to the magic system, I reread debt of bones last year when I was reading the legends collection, and while I enjoyed the story, I did have my issues with some of the ways magic works, for example the hole death spell idea, and the business of creating a barrier.

Then again, I often got the idea that in Goodkind, the magic was there to serve the characters and the plot rather than the other way around, so some inconsistancies I could just roll with.

My biggest problem with the Tv series was how episodic it was, and how little many things that should have had profound effects upon the world actually mattered.
The plot with Richard and Denna is dealt with in one episode, but Denna mysteriously comes back later as a revenge villain, the creator actually appears at one stage, and yet it doesn't unbalance the world.

I didn't find Richard any the more aggressive in the series particularly, though I did think Darken Rahl was absolutely fantastic as a villain and I liked how much you saw of him.

then again, Richard's status as always being right and just hulking out of things was sort of another facet of the books which seemed to go too far as the series went on, which was why the Richard in Temple of the winds could make a coplete arse of himself by having a go at Kahlin, is not the same Richard who, in Naked Empire did not acknowledge that perhaps there might be a middle ground between rolling over and letting your enemies slaughter you and do what they want, and slaying every one of your enemies as brutally and painfully as possible to the last man, woman and child, grinding their bones into dust possibly while they're still living), since clearly enemies are all absolutely and totally evil!

Then again, I absolutely love the scene in naked empire when Zed is being forced to identify magical objects and finds a ball his daughter lost as a little girl, so yes, Goodkind still managed to get my emotions even there.

Again, Goodkind is a writer I don't think I'll ever feel completely easy with, but I can't deny he's one whose books stayed with me and did give me a lot of awesome moments, albeit a lot of other moments when I want to curse, or argue a lot big_smile.