Re: frustrated with blindness (read post if you want context)

Why does everyone feel the need to take the cure discussion and turn it into maybe the cure won't be perfect?  That's like debating in bad faith 101.  Obviously if the cure's not perfect and comes with weird side effects this is a different discussion, but that's what clinical trials are for.  This discussion always goes the same way: as soon as someone points out all the advantages of sight and that being all conflicted about it is really silly, we change the definition of cure rather than just conceding the argument.

This thing has so many side effects that it's useless, this thing only restores 1% of vision, whatever else, those are at best called treatments and at worst called failures.  They aren't what is being debated every time anyone anywhere starts the cure discussion.  "Under what circumstances can we cure blindness?" is an interesting discussion, sadly still an open question, and the one where "maybe neuroplasticity" or whatever is relevant.  But trying to shift one discussion into the other to turn "I don't know if I want the cure because identity" or whatever into anything but a statement of ignorance, anxiety, or an ableist background isn't productive or helping our cause, in the same way that all the other things I've brought up here aren't productive and helping our cause.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Turret via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zargonbr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : azure via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : burak via Audiogames-reflector