Re: just got a Iphone6 plus, cases and questions

You see, Dark? Determined. big_smile

The security thing, while overstated, is important if you actually want to guarantee the integrity of your property. Since it's a simple matter to put XP into a VM and reduce the risk by not exposing anything untrusted (USB, network) to it, why on earth wouldn't you? The utility of XP remains, even when it's not running in full-screen and low-latency virtualisation software. In fact, I'd even go as far as to suggest that virtualisation makes XP shine. Even the fact that it has long-since received its last patch is something of a relief, since I always hated using Windows Update. But running it on physical hardware where you can make no such guarantees is out of the question. Well, unless you're you, of course. smile Your other precautions with your finances are very sensible and are really solving the problem at the root cause, so I find it hard to understand why you don't take the same approach with your system software. Unless you close up all potential avenues of attack, your XP machine is quite simply vulnerable to an obvious source of threats, namely, anything that Microsoft has not patched. In your case the consequences of that would be particularly terrible, because you use Internet Explorer as your primary browser. Is it worth the risk? Would you rather not have peace of mind? Perhaps it's time to learn Firefox and Thunderbird and stop using any high-surface code from Microsoft such as IE or Outlook Express, if you will not leave XP for your primary machine. IMO, a patched system is one less thing to worry about, regardless of whether or not you can run an unpatched system safely. But the ball is ultimately in your court.

So in summary: it's not actually wrong to be sceptical about security alarmism, but it may very well be unrealistic to depend on security by obscurity as a strategy.

For the email thing, the idea is that you install the client software and now anything you have access to on iOS such as the text of emails can easily be saved to iCloud drive, where I can easily pick it up. So all my licence keys and JAWS dongle patch files for my various versions have been moved to iCloud Drive. Ideally I'd be able to just use the email client on the web, but in practice it's inaccessible on Windows. So yeah, it's like a super-duper convenient USB thumb drive with nothing really private on it.