Re: just got a Iphone6 plus, cases and questions

Apple have always been imperialistic with their hardware, though at least as Cx2 said it affects their interfaces and backwards compatibility far less.

What I object too with Xp is that this security bogey man is always given as the reason to toss a perfectly good system, relearn a new one which as Cx2 said has a completely different interface for no other reason than it does, and break compatibility with all older software, where as as Sebby pointed out Xp maintained! Backwards compatibility.

Fundamentally, I don't like the fact that the security bogey man is always given as the reason for these so called upgrades, which in practical terms seem to do little good, after all will any post xp windows actually let me do! anything different with my Pc?Can I run some awsome games? Will it help me use the internet, watch dvds, word process or listen to music better? Thus far the only practical thing I've heard post xp windows does is have screen reader accessible versions of hearts and solitare, ---- which really isn't much big_smile.

Security is important, though far easier to handel by simply not keeping sensative information on a computer (something I've done for years), using a credit card with a low limit and if anything is ultra! sensative having it on a separate machine, ---- my mum's medical notes are all on an old windows 98 laptop which she is happy using which has no internet access, while my brother has a completely separate machine for his legal work as opposed to the one he does gaming etc on, he doesn't even pick up his work related e-mails accept at his law firm, and I personally have nothing that sensative (unless any potential hackers want a thesis on disability).

It feels like security is the excuse Microsoft are using to kill all backwards compatibility and ram their new interface down everyon e's throats. You keep saying "futurism" and "improvement" but I just don't see any of this at all, indeed to me something isn't better because it has lots of computery wutery things in the background or some big numbers in it's stats, but because of what it does!

If microsoft were a car manufacturer it's like they're selling a new car and saying "Well we've swapped the steering wheel and the clutch around, and we've repositioned all the buttons, oh and all the stuff you bought for your old car won't work in this new car, but hay! it's got a better door lock, and the engine is less prone to rust"

Where as I! want a car that is more fuel efficient and will help me get to where I'm going faster, and don't give a dam about the internals, I'm quite happy with what my current one does so if your making me upgrade, give me some practical bennifit.

I can't speak for mac, b ut at least on Ios Apple do actually consider this, eg, when I recently upgraded to Ios 8 over 7 I got to play with some new features while keeping the same interface.

This is wy I don't distinguish between virtual console and running old cartriges. The fact is, I can run super castle vania or marrio all stars just as well on a Wii as on my Snes, (or at least I could if the menu for the Wii was accessible), and Nintendo just ask me to pay for the hosting. if microsoft did the same, giving an xp upgrade and charging a reasonable price, I think more people would be happier about it.

As to developers using Vb6, again my thought would be the proof is in the pudding, who cares whether microsoft's visual basic super dooper modern ultra style master buy it now version is supposedly better, that didn't give us awsome games like Swamp, and if microsoft had any integrity they'd realize this rather than telling everyone to smeg off and upgrade like the sa d imperialistic scum they are.
I suspect a mac with a virtual machine for xp is likely what I'll do eventually, but probably only when a mac would be worth my while to use, ie, some practical bennifit over xp, plus of course, virtual machines don't seem easy to run in themselves from what I've gathered (again, why don't microsoft make one?).