On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 02:43 -0800, cliveb wrote:
> CardinalFang Wrote:
> > I read in the article that since the sound data is extracted via
> > computer onto hard disk and because computers need bit-perfect data, we
> > are getting a more acccurate experience than a CD player that
> > error-corrects and filters data on-the-fly.

> Your argument seems to be based on the assumption that CDs are rarely
> read correctly, and error concealment is required most of the time.
> This assumption is incorrect. The audio CD format is surprisingly
> robust. Undamaged CDs played on correctly functioning audio players
> deliver a 100% perfect data stream in the vast majority of cases. The
> error correction that CDs players constantly apply is just that: error
> *correction*. (By the way, hard disks also rely on error correction).

It is true that undamaged CDs deliver all of the data in huge majorities
of the time. The error correction logic is quite good.

The RedBook specs also include specs for what to do when
the errors can not be corrected. It happens, somewhere between
rarely and extremely rarely. When it happens, the player fakes it.
For non-critical listening, you are unlikely to notice it.

EAC and other PC programs use a different approach to reading,
but the result is essentially the same. And they are highly
sucessful.

I don't know what EAC does when it just can't extract a block from
the CD. I've never had it happen.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html