What's missing from this discussion is a sense of proportionality, not
seeing the forest for the trees. We could go back and forth all day,
for several days, about theoretical ideals while the practical
realities dictate a different perspective. Unless one has an unlimited
budget, we must make compromises when it comes to bass performance. By
far the most influential factors on bass performance are room
dimensions, and surfaces, and where the bass driver(s) reside in that
room. Few of us have the freedom to create the ideal room,dimensionally
or acoustically, or have unlimited options as to placement, so we
immediately hobble ourselves with problems that have to be addressed if
we are to experience  satisfactory bass performance. Unless you're VERY
lucky, there is virtually no chance that whatever sub you get will have
reasonably flat response in the location(s) that you are limited to.
Fortunately, there are products that address this problem that are
reasonably priced, like the Behringer BFD, which solve more problems
than they create by being able to lower nodes and smooth nulls. I'm
sure there are some that will dispute THAT statement.
As far as stereo subs are concerned, I would venture to say
that there are precious few recordings where that would make so
substantial a difference as to limit your enjoyment of them. Of course
it would be an improvement but at a substantial expense and more
complicated implementation.

--
konut