pfarrell Wrote:

> So you have at best dualing theories.

I never wanted to 'dual'. I just mentioned that using two subs is a
ubiquitous suggestion. If it were a dual, you already lost-IMHO.

I went to the outlaw site to read about the sub Jon mentioned, lo and
behold they recommend using two.
"Q. I see you offer the S2 package. Do I really need two subwoofers?

While the LFM-1 is capable of playing wall-rattling bass, the main
benefit for two subwoofers is not added volume but a wider sweet spot.
With one subwoofer, bass will only be optimized for one listening
position. Using two subwoofers enables you to increase the size of the
sweet spot to cover a wider portion of the listening area."
________________________________________________________[1]

Granted they make no provision for size of mains etc, but their
reasoning as listed is poor anyway. However, I can't find ANY sites
that say definitevly, 'one sub is enough'. I would love to read
something interesting if you have the links, Pat, but please no more
crash test dummie articles.

Jon made a good point that some of what helps us place a low tone in
space is the accompanying harmonics, which I see as a further reason to
use two subs.

I agree that using the eq will solve more problems than it creates, if
used correctly, however smoother frequency response is but one of the
advantages of two subs. I also agree that two subs are more expensive,
but would the sound be better through equalization than it would have
been by investing in a second sub? RE WAF----->when talking
theoretically there is no room for wifey in the equations.

The most important aspect, which seems to be getting ignored by
everyone but me, is probably envelopment of sound in the VLF's. When
Robin Miller did testing with a panel of 6 recording professionals, 3
could locate to 50hz, and 1 to 45hz reliably. However, the interesting
thing is how the subjects described the differences in sound. In mono
the the description of the VLF sounds went from 'merely varying in
level' at 1Hz to 'strongly and uncomfortably localized in-head' at the
upper reaches of the VLF's. Contrast that with the binaural sounds
being described as 'swirling around the room', and 'like a slowly
revolving hula hoop around the head'. Sounds fun to me :) The results,
Robin found, were most effective at 56Hz and higher, with diminished
effect at 50-45 Hz. I'd be happy to note also that there was no spatial
impression below 45Hz.

It's not like this is a new theory, see 6moons October 2003:
"In fact, many listeners might even question the advantages of stereo
separation below 40Hz to begin with.

Their loss.   "

I just like a good discussion, and look forward to one.

[1]http://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_lfm1.html
[2]http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vbt/magellan82.html

PS. Thanks for the pics ezkcdude, but no more por favor! I meant I
wanted to see your veneer work, after seeing your DIY's, but didn't
realize it was textured plastic this time.

--
Skunk