Any sub you chose will be a compromise between
Price/Performance/WAF/Your tastes/and What your looking for.  It has to
sound good to you in your living room.

Since no one has mentioned SVS subs, I will.  After many auditions of
other brands were unsatisfying, I bought a 12" w/525w built-in amp from
SVS. SVS is at http://www.svsound.com.   It is the most accurate sub I
have heard.  It's hard to describe.  It's never boomy.  It's just
indescribably deep and potent.  It sounds great for HT, but my true
love is music (blues, jazz, rock, classical.)

SVS is web only sales.  There were tons of critical reviews, so I felt
comfortable ordering one. And have never regretted it.  I had made
several subwoofers that didn't work like I wanted.  I auditioned lots
of subs and most of them were not what I was looking for. They were
boomy and unmusical.  If I had the money, I'd have two SVS subs.  I'm
just grateful to have one, because I can end my pursuit of great bass.

You'll think I'm full of it but in my living room it's flat down to
22Hz +/- 3dB and has meaningful output down to 14Hz. And, this with a
sub costing less than $1,000. (I couldn't hear the 14Hz tone, but my
son's t-shirt was flapping as he stood next to the sub I played that
tone.)  I feel the SVS sub accurately plays the bass that has been laid
down on the CD.  (Some CDs are real sleepers - there is very deep bass
and there was no way to know it before.)

My setup
I used test tones and a mic to select the best location for the sub.  I
also adjusted the bass level with an Audio Control Richter Scale III
because I have a huge peak at about 60Hz.  The Richter Scale III also
has a Linkwitz-Riley crossover.  It sounds fantastic.

Dan

--
dancarne