> I'm not following how you jump from audio quality to
> redundancy to reliability at once. They are different
> issues that one can decide to implement or not
> as your strokes require.

But there are some trade-offs, like in every engineering project, given
the amount of resources one is willing to commit. And I am not talking
only money - also convenience, perceived "elegance" of the solution.
Both objective and subjective parameters are relvant here - I am not
designing my system for public use, after all.

Yes, the Netgear solution has limitations (I can't recall ever claiming
the limitations are the SQB or SLMSRV), but it seemed to be a simple and
elegant way for my own set of priorities. Why? I have a specially
designed quiet computer. I hate fan noise in my study. A friend let me
play with a full RAID server in case I was interested, but the noise
level was utterly unacceptable. I spend long hours working, reading and
writing in my study. Once you have gone low noise, you will not go back.
The Netgear offers mirrored networked drives, and is very quiet. Bingo
as far as I am concerned.

As to audio quality, well, in the audiophle world the debate it existed
long before the advent of MP3s and FLACs. It's part of the fun to argue
about it. To claim LPs sound better despite lower SN ratios. To hear
differences in cables. To not hear a difference between 256k and 320k
MP3, or to claim the quality loss is defensible in some cases... the
more things change...

--
pablolie