pablolie wrote:
>>I'm not following how you jump from audio quality to
>>redundancy to reliability at once. They are different
>>issues that one can decide to implement or not
>>as your strokes require.
>

> Yes, the Netgear solution has limitations (I can't recall ever claiming
> the limitations are the SQB or SLMSRV), but it seemed to be a simple and
> elegant way for my own set of priorities. Why? I have a specially
> designed quiet computer. I hate fan noise in my study. A friend let me
> play with a full RAID server in case I was interested, but the noise
> level was utterly unacceptable.

I can understand the noise problem.
My SlimServer box is in the basement, far away from my serious
music listening. Even then, I put in quieter fans, the
cheap ones that most computers are built with can
be greatly upgraded for $20 or so.

Solves the same problem in a different way.

I did have a laptop used to control my SlimServer
and to surf the web, do email, etc.
I returned it, the fan was too noisy to tolerate.

> As to audio quality, well, in the audiophle world the debate it existed
> long before the advent of MP3s and FLACs. It's part of the fun to argue
> about it. To claim LPs sound better despite lower SN ratios. To hear
> differences in cables. To not hear a difference between 256k and 320k
> MP3, or to claim the quality loss is defensible in some cases... the
> more things change...

Is the audiophile world that old? I think The Absolute Sound is
only about 15 years old. Maybe a little older.

The idea of "high end" was pretty much defined by TAS.
In the 70s and 80s, "stereo" was more of a mass market, or
at least widespread, everyone in college aimed for some
serious speakers, be they AR-3As or Large Advents, or
something more exotic like Quads or Dahlquists. The
current audiophiles seem to love wandering off into
religious discussions. The idea of spending
$500 or $1000 on interconnects is beyond beyond my
understanding.

I don't see any value in even talking about whether one
or another MP3 version is relativly better or even "good enough"
since for my decision space, the computer in the basement
has infinite disk space, and then FLAC is my choice
because it is lossless and open source. MP3 is neither.

YMMV

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html