tom permutt wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
>>It is interesting to note that the majority of audiophiles are
>>men over 30 and most are over 40. Too much rock-n-roll
>>is likely to have had more impact on the ears and hearing than
>>a little normalization.
>
> Yeah.  I need to improve my equipment to the point where I can hear and
> despise all the imperfections in the original recording, so that I can
> be unhappy but smug.

Yeah, I have an original copy of CSN&Y's Four Way street from
when it was initially released. I remembered it fondly. But I haven't
had a working turntable since the mid-80s, so it was remembered as I
wanted it to be, not as it was. As part of my deciding that ripping
Vinyl is too time consuming, I ordered the CD.

What a disapointment. Not only is the engineering terrible, with tons
of obvious distortion everywhere (i.e. in the vocals, not just the
tube guitar amp on 11). But the singing is terrible. They are
totally out of key, someone or two are flat a full pitch, it
is unlistenable.

I'm better off remembering it as a good album, rather than listening to it.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html