cliveb Wrote:
> The only difference between the two is that the TCP/IP protocol used in
> a SB setup allows for the re-transmission of bad data, while in a CD
> player the disc can't be re-read to account for errors. But since the
> overwhelming majority of non-faulty CDs are read without error, this is
> of no practical significance.

This doesn't make sense to me - what's the point of the buffer if the
CD can't be re-read?  In that case if the buffer held 10 seconds of
music, you'd simply hear the skip 10 seconds after your car went over a
bump rather than in real time.

Instead, I think the CD player must go back and re-read the CD during
those 10 seconds.  Probably what you meant is that there are no
check-bits which tell the player when a small error (a few bits
mis-read) has occurred, unlike in TCP/IP.

I'm still wondering (see my earlier post in this thread) whether fancy
DACs such as the Benchmark really solve the problem with source jitter,
and if so how.

--
opaqueice