I read somewhere that in most HT-type receivers it is impossible to turn
off the A>D  conversion/signal processing (and therefore the
redundant-seeming A>D>A cycle), and that even the "True/Direct Bypass"
features don't bypass this conversion, they only bypass tone controls
and other DSP-type processing.

This was confirmed in email exchanges I had with Onkyo and Yamaha, but
not with Outlaw.  It still doesn't really make sense to me why they'd
do that and I don't claim to understand it all (but as with all things
my guess is it has something to do with cost savings, if I've
understood correctly and it's true).

If that's true on your unit, then going in through the analog inputs is
causing D>A at the SB, then A>D>A in your receiver. So as you've deduced
it would stand to make some sense that the extra processing could affect
the sound quality adversely, even if the SB DAC is superior (because the
receiver's DAC is still in the chain).

--
joncourage