cepheid Wrote:
> That could very well be true... the receiver *is* applying Dolby
> Pro-Logic IIx to the signal for surround processing, and that might be
> causing an A->D->A conversion cycle.
>
> I'll try using the "Direct Stereo" mode of the receiver, which is
> supposed to pass the input through without any digital signal
> processing whatsoever.  That means I won't get any of the surround
> effects, but then again, I'd rather it sound good than have it sound
> "cool."

Do, please, test for these obvious things! Perhaps even having a look
in the manual? Also, don't compare while listening to Dolby
processing.

cepheid Wrote:
> I'll also try the digital output, since that does seem like a logical
> choice... and it would allow me to use the Dolby Pro-Logic IIx
> processing without that extra A->D->A conversion.

The extra bit is a "D->A->D". The first D->A being in the SB.

cepheid Wrote:
> (The fact that the SB3 digital output bypasses the SB3 DAC is the very
> reason that I'm hesitant to use it.  Since I'm sure the SB3 DAC is
> higher quality than the one in my receiver, I feel like I'm "wasting" a
> lot of the SB3's capability by bypassing its DAC using the digital
> output.  I know the SB3 has a lot more going for it than just its DAC,
> but it's just one of those psychological issues where I would feel like
> I'm "wasting" one of the main benefits by using the digital output.
> I'll get over it, I know... I'm just explaining why I seem reluctant to
> use the digital outputs.)
>
> Thanks for the advice!  And thanks for not openly wincing at my
> non-audiophile setup. =D

You'd rather use the preamps A-D than bypass that so you don't waste a
full D->A->D sequence? You also feel confident that the preamps
A/D-converter is as good as the SB's D/A, but you don't think the
preamps digital input will be any good (although you prefer it with
your CD-player).

Of course, there is a possibility that you will in the end get better
sound by doing extra conversions -for example if the clock recovery in
your surround pre is lousy, and it works much better using it's
internal clock. But I would start by testing the digital input
-especially since you like it with your CD-player. And then you have
those analogue direct inputs as well to try out...

Go and move some cables now instead of speculating!

P.S: "New" gold coated connectors usually need a good cleaning.

P.P.S: Adjust the volume when you compare. Apart from level
mis-matching (as mentioned above), introduced distortion can make
things sound superficially "better" (louder). The truly better sound
may actually need a higher volume to be appreciated during an A/B. (A
fallacy of the old A/B test.)

--
P Floding