I've used a mix of Seagates and Western Digitals over the years, and
none have ever failed.  Luck, I guess...  the fact is, any manufacturer
can make a bad drive, but most drives made are fine.  So this kind of
anecdotal evidence is pretty useless for making an informed decision.
Personally, my strategy is to go to Newegg or a similar site with many
user reviews and try to select the drive with the highest or one of the
highest average ratings.  That way you at least have some better
statistics, and you're unlikely to buy a lemon.

--
opaqueice