ezkcdude;130954 Wrote:
> They can be shifted to a higher frequency range, so that a more "gentle"
> reconstruction (anti-aliasing) filter can be used. That is my
> understanding.Your understanding is wrong I'm afraid.  Once the alias is in
> the
signal, it looks just like part of the original signal so if you remove
it you'll remove part of the original signal too.  I think you're
probably confusing 'aliasing' with 'repeat spectra'.

A good example of aliasing is that of waggon wheels in western movies
appearing to speed up in a forward direction before slowing down and
reversing as the waggon builds up speed.  This is an example of
temporal aliasing caused by the frame rate (temporal sampling
frequency) of the film being too slow to capture the speed of movement.
Once it's there, no amount of unsampling will remove it; the best you
can do is to remove all the temporal high frequencies, in which case
you'll end up with a very smeary picture :-(

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk