I have a SoundBlaster Extigy, which is an external version of thier
Audigy card.  It's been highly reviewed by most of the tech publishers.

It connects via USB and also comes with a remote.  It's got lots of
digital and analog inputs and outputs, and even will operate in "stand
alone" mode if you want to play a source with the computer off ... or
put it to some other imaginative use. I used to used it as my
computer-to-stereo interface device before I got my SqueezeBox.  Now I
use it for ripping LP's to digital, and my 'regular' sound card.
Another nice benefit is that you can sit it on your desk ... so you
don't have to crawl behind your computer every time you want to connect
a different source to it.

It's probably not an "Audiophile" device, but I think it sounds better
than any installed card I've ever heard.

I don't know if they're still in production, but it looks like they're
fairly available on Ebay for short money.

--
jeffluckett