Hey this thread got fun all of a sudden :)

Robin Bowes;141920 Wrote:
> highdudgeon wrote:
> > Correction: physics and engineering can explain the whole lot. If
> you
> > don't understand that, the the problem is with you.
>
> Correction: there are many, many phenomena in this world that science
> does not understand.

You're both right.  Physics and engineering do indeed have all of the
answers, but we don't understand all the physics, engineering (and
biology) behind hearing.

The problem is particularly profound when it seems clear that human
hearing is rather higher resolution than red-book CD - we can hear that
vinyl, DVD-A and SACD can sound better.  Therefore, given that 99% of
what most of us listen to is red-book, we are inherently stuck with the
issue that perfect reproduction of the 16/44.1 may not sound 'best' to
us - hence upsampling, for example.

So I agree with both of you, anyway: I think that modders should always
explain why their products work, and back this up with nice jitter
charts and the like.  However, they should also be free to release mods
where they cannot measure a difference, if they think it sounds better;
they should be open about this and let the buyer make an informed
choice.

So let's close this thread - guys, shake hands and agree to disagree.
The world is grey, not black and white.  And blue and green, I guess...
:)

--
adamslim

SB3 and Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio Research 859,
Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost cables