CardinalFang;142941 Wrote:
> That's an interesting comment - surely codec algorithms are fairly
> standardised and it's down to a good implementation that can supply
> correctly decoded data at the appropriate time for the DAC. Are there
> that many variables in implementations or are you listening for
> errors?
>
> I have worked with MPEG4 codecs before and they were pretty much set by
> patents and licensing of technology with very little wriggle room for
> mods. Also, I assume this applies to lossy codecs, not FLAC where you
> are looking for exact replication of input data.
>
> Paul

Not so much the math - certainly you don't "mod" and MPEG decoder in
the same way you would a power supply or something. What I'm talking
about is listening for glitches, dropped samples, misaligned data,
different kinds of buffer issues, etc. There is a whole bunch of things
that can go wrong in the digital realm that are much easier not just to
detect, but to specifically identify by ear rather than by looking at
the bits.

--
seanadams