seanadams;142943 Wrote:
> Not so much the math - certainly you don't "mod" and MPEG decoder in the
> same way you would a power supply or something. What I'm talking about
> is listening for glitches, dropped samples, misaligned data, different
> kinds of buffer issues, etc. There is a whole bunch of things that can
> go wrong in the digital realm that are much easier not just to detect,
> but to specifically identify by ear rather than by looking at the bits.

I see, that makes a lot of sense - thanks. Digital errors tend to have
fairly gross audio effects so I can see how they would be easy to spot
by ear and tougher to spot from looking at traces or numbers. My
experience from MPEG codecs and testing is that you can do some
automated comparisons between original and decoded data to trap errors,
but allowable algorithmic rounding errors for performance reasons
usually mean that human intervention is required.

Paul

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...