Patrick Dixon;143207 Wrote:
> I'm backing it up with my 20+ years of experience in the industry.  I
> think the onus is on you to prove that the TV/Broadcast industry never
> argues about the relevance and methods of measurement of TV equipment!

I also worked in the TV industry (although for nothing like as long).
In fact I worked on designing measuring equipment (specialized
oscilloscopes) for TV stations to use to test their signals.  I can
tell you they take measurements very seriously, not least because of
FCC regulations - broadcast stations have to keep their signals within
certain parameter ranges or they get fined.

No one said there's "never any argument" about measurement - that would
be pretty stupid, since we're arguing about it now!  But can you imagine
some TV station telling an irate FCC, "well, we didn't bother to measure
our signal, but we're using a special new technique - it's like lifting
a veil from the image!  And it can't possibly be our fault that when we
start broadcasting every garage door within three miles starts going up
and down..."

Anyway, the point is that industry - at least from what I've seen of it
- is based on and driven by scientific measurements, as is any serious
engineering endeavour.

--
opaqueice