tyler_durden;143878 Wrote:
> Average is not the 50th percentile, and it is entirely possible for most
> members of a group to be above average.  For example, a group of 5
> numbers: 0, 7, 7, 8, and 9.  The average is 6.2, yet 4 out of 5 values
> are greater than the average.  As you can see a low score has a big
> impact on the group average.
> TD

The participants were asked to estimate in what percentile they thought
their abilities on various tasks fell relative to their peers.
Percentile is not an average, it's more like a median; it's what
percentage of the group is below you.  So by definition the _average
percentile_ is 50, but the average of the percentile people thought
they were in was around 66.

> The study pointed out that the low scoring people overestimated their
> own abilities relative to their peers, then when shown the actual
> scores, continued to overestimate themselves even though all the scores
> were presented to them.

You're incorrect - I went back and looked to make sure I remembered
correctly, and what they did is what I said before.  They didn't show
them the scores - they asked them to grade some other exams as well as
they could, and then showed them their own and asked again how they
thought they had done.  The point was to see if they would recognize
that they had made many mistakes and give a more accurate assesment.
Unsurprisingly, the low-scorers didn't.

--
opaqueice