tomjtx;143877 Wrote:
> I could go on, but not one great maker uses CAD or anyting like that.
> They build by ear, using tap tones , adjusting bracing etc. It is an
> art that cannot be fully measured.

Of course I meant electric guitars, and Suhr is most definitely one of
the finest in that field - I personally think he's the finest at what
he does and so do Eric Clapton, Mark Knopler, Pete Frampton who have
been customers of his too. CAD and CNC allow him to produce repeatable
designs custom built for different hand sizes, preferences etc. and all
are hand finished. You would not be able to tell a machine had been
involved apart from the very consistent shaping of the neck, body etc.
Suhr still hand picks timbers, checks tone and applies very strict
quality control.

It's a different story with acoustics or classical instruments where
hand tuning of the body is required and the wooden structure of my
acoustic was built entirely by hand using the methods you describe.
It's also important to buyers who are also investing in the
craftmanship and the "hand-built" ethos. I understand that, it's why I
bought the instrument myself. For my electric, it's about the tone and
feel.

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...