325xi;145599 Wrote:
> Because any such comparison is highly subjective. Some sound may appeal
> to your taste but not to be really better. So we want to keep as much
> as possible potentially influencing factors out of the picture.
> If you compare Toyota to Ferrari and prefer Toyota because of more
> comfortable raid, will it make Toyota really superior car overall? What
> it really does is confuses those who aren't well familiar with both to
> understand the "basic assumptions" such as "everybody knows what each
> car is, but all I care is to go shopping, so..."
>
> Or take the cameras: little plain soapbox camera may give or almost the
> same picture quality as a semi-pro SLR under perfect conditions. But the
> conclusion that they are mutually replaceable is wrong, because the
> result valid only for specific conditions.
>
> If one doesn't hear much difference between hi-end low-end DACs, it may
> mean that they indeed don't really differ, but it also can mean the test
> condition don't allow to hear difference, or that the person is unable
> to hear it due to today's headache, or sound of better quality setup
> just doesn't appeal to the listener, etc. So what such a comparison
> worth?

You sound like a dealer that's afraid he will lose money with bargain
priced gear.
In hi-end audio there is often little correlation between price and
quality.
The only thing important is how it sounds, unless you want to pay a lot
extra for a certain look.............but this has nothing to do with the
sound of a unit.
To automatically rule out comparisons between units in different price
ranges is absurd in the extreme.

--
tomjtx