Patrick Dixon;153790 Wrote:
> I'm not too sure what you're on about, but what we do is to disconnect
> ALL the SB2/3 output circuitry, and replace it with our own DAC,
> analogue and digital output circuits together with a linear PSU and
> plenty of local regulation. I personally have always prefered the
> analogue outputs of the SB+ to the SB+ fed to an external DAC, but the
> customer has the choice, and in any event it sounds considerably better
> that the stock SB2/3.

I find it much more plausible that the analogue outs could be improved.
What I find especially hard to believe is that the digital outputs are
so significantly improved by your mod that you can hear the difference
played through a Benchmark.  I say that simply because I'd be surprised
if there's any perceptible difference between any two transports - say
between a $30 DVD player and the SB+ or a $5000 CD player or what have
you - when played through a good DAC.  I say this because it seems
clear that jitter can be entirely or almost entirely eliminated with a
good DAC (see my post above).

In any case, I'd be very interested to see evidence to the contrary,
but that must either be a measurement or a blind test, as we know (from
thousands of scientific studies) that non-blind tests are useless for
this.  Until I see that I wouldn't even consider buying such a mod.
After seeing it I would.  There are quite a few people that think like
I do on this, so purely from a marketing point of view it would benefit
you to in fact conduct such a blind test.  Given the minimal effort
involved, it's interesting (to put it kindly) that this isn't done.

--
opaqueice