Actually, I'm kind of into wine (it helps that my father-in-law runs a
highly regarded winery) and definitely into single malts.  In my
experience, while novices couldn't identify specifically what it was
that they *liked* about a particular drink, they could always pick out
the "better" one from the lesser one.

Of course, there is the UC Davis oenology department black cup
test...where in, yes, double-blind tests experienced tasters scored 50%
in distinguishing reds from whites.  In another experiment, cheap and
expensive wines were poured into different bottles.  In a non-blind
test, the expensive label wines (which were actually cheap) won the
day.  This is not a rumor; my brother-in-law went to school there.

When it comes to audio, non-audiophile friends are often only mildly
interested, if that much, in my systems.  However, they could easily
discern the difference between speakers, between movements in speaker
position, DACs, etc.  In a way, then, one could argue that testing by
disinterested parties, while not conclusive, could be very interesting
and could even help keep the community honest -- because these people
don't come at the project with preconceptions.  If you get trained
musicians to do it, specifically, it would get very interesting.  Why?
Because these are people with far more ear training than any
non-musician, and that includes audiophiles (quick: how many of you are
able to identify and describe subtle key changes?  Or perhaps tune a
guitar or violin by ear?).  Anyway, I digress.  The point is that there
is a great deal of snobbery and exclusivity in the audiophile community
and that is not necessarily a good thing.  Someone with a highly
trained ear will outclass a non-musical audiophile any day of the
week.

PS, many, many, many excellent wines are sweet, fruity, and
full-bodied.  Many interesting and very fine cabernets (which are a
rather commonplace wine and hardly the most interesting thing) are
fruity.  Tannic wines are a bit of a more tending toward unpleasant and
many "dry" wines fall into that trap.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.