Mark Lanctot;157893 Wrote:
> Well yeah, but that's kind of a marketing statement.  They couldn't
> possibly have compared it to every single CD player on the market (or
> ever made, for that matter).  And I'm sure those $10K CD transports
> I've heard about have something to them.  If they didn't beat a device
> costing 1/5 as much (which includes a high-end DAC, mind you) they'd
> have some explaining to do.
>
> It's also all relative, of course.  It's not like that reviewer's
> opinion is the last word on the Denon or the Transporter for that
> matter.
>
> In fact being compared favourably against a player costing nearly twice
> as much is a high compliment.

I think Mark has it right.  When this happens to me, I know most of my
bad feelings are coming from the sinking realization that I got fooled
by marketing hype.  Maybe its less about the transporter and more about
kicking yourself.

I mean by any objective measure, the TP is still shaping up as a great
purchase!  Half the price of a Denon, lot more capability, more cache,
lots prettier to look at, maybe better built....  Ya done good man!

And who knows, with a bit of educated, systemic-type tweaking, it might
be in Meitner territory.

--
atkinsonrr

Transporter, Quicksilver V4 Monos, Vandersteen Model 5A speakers.  SB3,
Quad Tube Pre-Amp, Tube Monos, Quad ESLs.  Homemade Tripath Digital
amps, Carver ALS (original) Speakers with Outboard Crossovers.