I hope this isn't off topic, but something I noticed on the Rothwell
site is a claimed 10db SNR improvement by using the balanced
attenuators between a preamp and amp*. Wouldn't that be impossible if
the preamp had an analog volume control?

Maybe the reason it seems on-topic is because of the great alternative
Clive posted.

*"Although the attenuators can be used on the inputs of the pre-amp in
exactly the same way as they would be used on an integrated amp (with
the same benefits), alternatively they can be used between the pre-amp
and the power amp to even greater effect. When used this way, not only
is system gain reduced by 10dB, but the signal to noise ratio is
improved by 10dB."

--
Skunk