pablolie;183867 Wrote:
>  And I have simply never seen any data or proof or material anywhere
> that shows that a red book audio CD playing in a regular CD player is
> plagued by enough bit errors to fundamentally make it inferior to a
> PC-based system where the CD has been ripped into it.

The molding process of the disc can cause random bit errors, but as
you've pointed out they will probably be corrected.

It was mentioned that scratched discs were a con to optical playback,
and a scratched disc has enough bit errors to be uncorrectable by reed
solomon.

It's quite easy, as you guessed, to get a bit perfect rip with a
pristine disc. The odds of accurateRip being wrong about this are like
a billion times a billion when yours matches someone else's (given
theirs was accurate).

Once you have the bit perfect rip, the only factor is the conversion to
analog- so it's like a cd player, but eliminates one step, a step which
surely cannot argued to enhance digital playback.

Which brings me back to the memory. We've established that Sb uses a
large high quality buffer, but what kind of RAM do CD players use that
isn't prone to cosmic rays (which opaqueice originally pointed out
hours ago)?

--
Skunk