325xi;189770 Wrote:
> Why do you think merely having optical out guarantees quality of that
> mini sound card feeding that out?

Or the Airport Express, for that matter. This "serious" review of the
AEX digital out --
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/505apple/ -- sounds upbeat,
but sections like the following seem a little disconcerting:

"One operational glitch that didn't affect my system to any significant
extent but did do so for some readers was the fact that, as the AE
doesn't have a local clock circuit, when the incoming data is
interrupted, as it is when you change songs in iTunes, there is no
longer a digital output to feed the DAC, which loses lock as a result.
Both the Levinson and the Benchmark DACs that I use deal gracefully
with the lost lock ... I therefore missed the fact that with some other
DACs, the first seconds of a song might be cut off."

"AE ... is limited to ... 16-bit data only. ... It is also important to
note that the AE functions only at a 44.1kHz sample rate. When you play
32kHz or 48kHz data, iTunes sample-rate-converts the data in real time
before sending it to the AE." (The SB handles 44.1 and 48; the
Transporter can also handle 96k. Both can handle 24-bit recordings,
according to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32951)

Since Apple doesn't prominently post the sort of technical detail that
you can get on Slim's hardware
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison), I think you
should seek out such reviews. I get the feeling that Apple included the
digital output because of the prevalence of digital inputs in mid-fi AV
receivers -- not for high-end gear. Certainly Apple's marketing this as
"hi-fi" doesn't help their hi-fi credibility:
http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

...but the widespread praise of the cheap T-amps makes it clear that
you shouldn't rule Apple's hardware out just because their gear is not
expensive enough!

Sonos: a quick search in these forums will turn up hours' worth of
reading. Here's one place you might start:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23490

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade StatusFirst
VolumeLock