crooner;193380 Wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Been dreaming this in my head for the last few days. I'm going to build
> a Super Squeezebox rivaling the Transporter in overall performance with
> looks to match.
>
> For his purpose, I've just purchased a SB2 via eBay that will be modded
> and then transplanted to a custom made audiophile grade enclosure to
> match my other components. The enclosure will feature a thick brushed
> aluminum front panel.
>
> There's the option of having a the linear power supply incorporated
> (and properly shielded) inside the enclosure or using a separate box.
>
> For my present SB3 setup, I've been using a Power One HB5-3/OVP-A based
> DIY power supply with excellent results. See:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32802
>
> For the Super Squeezebox, I will be using a larger Condor MD5-12-OVP-A
> medical grade linear supply. This unit is rated at 12 amps, which
> sounds like overkill, but for the Super SB nothing less will do :-)
>
> As for the mods on the SB2, I plan to do them on the analog and digital
> level. For this purpose, I'm considering Bolder's full mods. However, I
> might just do them myself.
>
> Once the Super SB is finished I plan to do comparisions between it's
> analog outs and the digital out fed to my Lite Audio DAC60. My present
> SB3 will also serve for comparisions as a stock unit.
>
> I think this is going to turn out pretty sweet. I even bought a lighted
> remote to go with the new unit.
>
> Quite frankly, my current stock SB3 with custom DIY power supply and
> DAC60 sounds pretty sweet as it is. But the adventurous in me is eager
> to work on a new project. It will surely keep me busy in the months to
> follow.
>
> Stay tuned for updates on this "Super SB"
>
> Regards,
> crooner

I'm sure the "thick brushed aluminum front panel" and the "larger
Condor MD5-12-OVP-A medical grade linear supply," will make a big
improvement in SQ.

PS- if you're going to follow "Bolder's full mods," for your "Super
SB", don't forget to install Bybees on the linear psu's transformer
secondaries,output rails, SPDIF output and analog outputs. Please let
us know if the silver or gold Bybees sound
better.

Have fun.

--
jhm731