There is  nothing different between a pause and a power off aside from
what's shown on the screen. Absolutely NOTHING is actually powered off
when you press power. It just shows a clock (or whatever) on the screen
instead of now playing. It's all just pictures sent down by the server.

And there is no difference in what is transmitted on the s/pdif. You
hit pause, it sends zeroes. You hit power, it sends zeroes. You hit
play after pause, it sends the music. You hit play after "power on",
and it sends the music in exactly the same way.

I don't see the point in doing measurements if you've already decided
in advance that the test will be inconclusive.

If you want to do a proper test, just use a sound card to record the
data and you will see it is the same. End of story.

I know there are many people who would like to believe that audio
products are made of magic and that there are mysterious phenomena that
we don't understand. But even if that were the case, your methodology is
a complete joke and you would never discover anything this way. It's
pseudoscience, just like astrology. You're just trying to convince
yourself that it's real by getting your friends to agree with you and
attempting tests that you don't even understand. I don't believe for
one second that you actually did a proper double blind test, or that
you even understand why it's necessary to use your ears and ONLY your
ears for this.

What's the point? Do you just want attention, or do you actually think
that you can prove something this way?

--
seanadams