snarlydwarf;216019 Wrote:
> Throw enough RAM at the problem and it's trivial.

Not at all. You still have to _get_ all that data to the player. And
you still have to be able to generate some audible rendition of it as
you scan through the compressed stream.  And you still have several of
the other issues I originally mentioned, such as supporting the myriad
of formats. So only if you had unlimited RAM, CPU, and bandwidth, and
only one format to support would it be "trivial". And as long as you're
having all that, why not a pony too? :)

Anyway if you could only change one of those things, I'd say the best
one would be the bandwidth. If you're guaranteed the throughput, low
latency, and zero packet loss of 100Mbps ethernet (as in the DVR
example) then the problem becomes a LOT more manageable. More RAM is
nice but certainly wouldn't solve the problem per se.

--
seanadams