Darren, whist generally agreeing, I think one needs to be careful not to
take this argument to extremes. After all, that isn't how the music is
actually made...(nobody in the studio is doing DBT every time they
change something in the mix! - and try telling any musician that they
can't tell reliably the differences between the sounds of
instruments).

Also I think you one can often hear when something is "wrong" - for
example when there is a fault.

However, I do agree that sighted listening conclusions when comparing
certain things at the margin of acuity (eg differences in transports)
are highly contentious.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)