darrenyeats;229859 Wrote:
> Not to say I don't believe David when he says there are
> differences...anything is possible. But this is one of those statements
> which deserves a DBT, IMHO.

Would like to add something: I feel DBT really makes sense only if the
minimum number of variables (preferably one only) is different/being
changed. This may sound self-explanatory, but read some audiophile
reviews, and you'll find it apparently isn't (to some people).

Note that audiophiles aren't as a species more prone to making fools of
themselves than engineers: I'd love to get a buck each time I hear a
truism such as that "costly parts aren't as important as a
well-designed layout." Overheard this less than a week ago in a
discussion between an engineer and some modder/tweaker, in which the
former tried to ridicule the latter for wanting to replace some
capacitor with a more expensive one (admittedly a nonsensical choice
from a QPR perspective, given the cost of the product to be modded) -
definitely wondered if I should let them in on the mysterious secret
that the concept of "upgrade" may be be thought of as exchanging parts
of identical value in a given layout ;^)

Note that "anything is possible" is, although far from laughable, all
the same a truism. The fact that if something's changed, there is
likely to be an audible difference doesn't mean that difference will be
in any way relevant, much less a clear improvement or detriment. Again,
this may sound self-explanatory, but read some audiophile reviews, and
you'll find that audiophiles, even otherwise respectable ones, more
often than not seem obsessed with finding change to always have to be
for better -or- worse.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

--
acousticsguru