Robin Bowes wrote:
> Of course 1 + 1 = 2 - that's been mathematically proven.

Actually, its usually defined as being true.
One of my favorite courses (I've got a Mathematics BS) was looking at
the minimal number of hypothesis that you can have, and proving
arithmetic as we know it. The minimum is generally called Peano's
Postulates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms

Plus there is a standard MBA joke about a CEO interviewing new CFOs, all
of which have Harvard MBAs. The CEO interviews about inventory
accounting theory, tax laws, etc. and then asks "how much is 1+1?"
and when the interviewees say "2" the CEO says "thank you very much"
over and over until one bright MBA responds with "what do you want it to
equal?"