servies wrote:
> Pat Farrell;233614 Wrote:
>> Robin Bowes wrote:
>>> Of course 1 + 1 = 2 - that's been mathematically proven.
>> Actually, its usually defined as being true.
>> One of my favorite courses (I've got a Mathematics BS) was looking at
>> the minimal number of hypothesis that you can have, and proving
>> arithmetic as we know it. The minimum is generally called Peano's
>> Postulates.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms
> And there we have the exact problem with 'audiophiles'. You need a
> minimum number of hypothesis to get going. We need 1 + 1 = 2 to be true
> to do our mathematics. But when the 'audiophiles' are proven incorrect
> they want to throw away the "1 + 1 = 2" definition...

Pat is not an audiophile. I am not an audiophile. I can't speak for Pat,
but I'm a music enthusiast with a background in audio engineering (I
have a degree in Electracoustics, worked in recording studios, worked on
live sound, etc). I believe Pat has a similar background in audio.

The two polar extremes in this field are:

 1. Engineer - I don't care what my ears tell me - if you can't measure
it, it's not real. We know what we're doing.
 2. Audiophile - I swear it sounds better if I write my name on page 42
of a book and put it in the freezer. Really, it does.

As always, the reality lies somewhere between the two extremes.

Now, I'm not sure what your agenda is, but you appear to be a certified,
card-carrying Engineer - and a particularly vociferous example at that.

The DBT chestnut is often rolled out on these forums because it is
proven that sighted testing is flawed because of the powerful suggestive
effect of external influences. This is all very well, but it struck me
today that this can work both ways.

The whole listening experience is a psychological thing - without your
brain processing the information received by your ears you wouldn't
"hear" anything. So, it seems eminently reasonable to me that one way to
improve your listening experience is to influence your brain. The
ultimate goal here is to enjoy the music; and if performing bizarre
rituals enhances your listening experience then so what?

Food for thought.

R.