Actually you'd be amazed just how hard it is to hear when a sample is
dropped or duplicated - not that the final design ever actually does
that, of course.

I hope you'll forgive me for not disclosing all the inner workings of
the design right now - it does seem to be a peculiar characteristic of
hi-fi companies that they seem unusually willing to discuss their trade
secrets in public. I guess there's a trade-off between maintaining a
competitive advantage, and gaining credibility with an inquisitive
customer base.

As of this moment in time, though, my DAC is not available for sale -
so I have no particular need to earn that credibility just yet by
explaining the precise ins and outs. Hope you understand.

I will say that the crystal I use is actually a VCXO, with a specified
rms output jitter of 2.72 picoseconds, and that it's connected directly
to the master clock input pin of the AK4396.

--
AndyC_772