Themis;347520 Wrote:

> So, is there something that I forgot ?

Yes - that applies to analogue media as well.

I sometimes like to point out at this point that -we don't know- if the
world is "analog" or "digital".  Everyone here is assuming sounds are
analog - but that is an -assumption- and totally unjustified.

First off, sounds are usually described as waves in air, but air is a
discrete medium.  It's made of molecules, and continuous waves are an
approximation - they don't really exist.  What really exists is the
motion of each molecule, which produces a series of discrete hits on
the microphone membrane - a process that is has as much in common with
digital media as it does with analog.  Whether it's "actually" digital
or analog is essentially a meaningless question, since I only really
know what those words mean in the context of storage media.

I could go further and mention quantum mechanics, but it's not
necessary.  The point is that describing sound as a continuous, smooth
thing is wrong even at the molecular level.  Hence any argument which
claims continuous time voltages are intrinsically superior to digital
sequences based on that false premise is also wrong.  And by the way,
24 bit digital is sufficient to capture sounds all the way from
unbearably loud to a single air molecule hitting the mic (if the mic
could capture that, which it can't) - and that's far, far, far better
than any analogue medium I've ever heard of.

--
opaqueice